Non-GMO Ingredient Information
To the best of our knowledge, all of the ingredients contained in Soozie's Doozies products are Non-GMO and sustainably sourced.
The term "Non-GMO" means that the ingredients do not contain gene-spliced genetically modified organisms created through bioengineering and are free of genetically modified or engineered DNA.
The term "sustainably sourced" means the ingredients are able to meet human needs while preserving the environment using sustainable agriculture methods to produce the ingredients.
At Soozies Doozies, we know that in order to create the highest quality products, we must use the highest quality ingredients. Listed below are all of the ingredients that we use. We took much time and care to source these ingredients and they are the very best ingredients that we can find.
- Chocolate: We use a simple high quality chocolate that contains only three ingredients, all of which are non-GMO. Here are the three ingredients contained in our chocolate:
Cocoa Beans - Certified non-GMO by propagation**. Note from our supplier: "We give our assurance that cocoa beans are non-GMO. To the best of our knowledge, no cocoa grown in the world today is the result of genetic modification. To date, no cocoa plants have been field planted which contain any recombinant DNA. Therefore, cocoa beans as a raw material, chocolate, cocoa powder, and cocoa butter are not genetically modified or engineered products."
Sugar | Certified non-GMO by propagation**. Our chocolate supplier uses sugar from cane sugar that is certified to come from non-GMO sources and is free from genetically engineered material.
Soy Lecithin | Tests negative for GMO. Our chocolate supplier maintains a testing program to ensure that the soy lecithin we use tests negative for DNA from genetically modified material. The chocolate contains less than 0.5% soy lecithin as an emulsifier.
- Enriched Wheat Flour - Certified non-GMO by propagation**. At this time, no genetically modified wheat is commercially available; therefore, the wheat we source from flour mills in the Midwest does not include any wheat that has been genetically modified. We use high quality wheat that is milled to a very high purity level.
- Vanilla Extract | We use only the highest quality Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract. It is made using a cold extraction process to preserve the more than 300 distinctive flavor compounds present in vanilla beans. The vanilla beans used are free from any genetically modified material. The alcohol used as part of the extraction process is derived from GMO-free sugar cane.
- Cane Sugar & Brown Cane Sugar | Certified non-GMO by propagation**. At this time, no genetically modified cane sugar is commercially available and we use only 100% Cane Sugar in our products.
- Organic Eggs | We use only organic eggs that are free from antibiotics and chickens are fed Non-GMO feed to ensure that the eggs are Non-GMO.
- Organic Milk | We use only organic milk that is free from antibiotics and cows are fed Non-GMO feed to ensure the milk is Non-GMO.
- Canola Oil | The Canola oil we use is Certified Non-GMO because it is produced from approved non-GMO oil bearing canola seed under an identity preserved program that is documented by the supplier. Furthermore, the canola seed and canola oil are tested for genetically modified organisms by the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method. The current standard for qualification as Non-GMO is to have a level of 0.9% or less.
- Palm Oil | Certified Non-GMO by propagation**. At this time, no genetically modified palm oil is commercially available, therefore, the palm oil we source does not include any palm that has been genetically modified. The palm oil we use is also Certified Sustainable by the Roundtable of Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).
- Salt | We use pure salt which is a mineral and therefore, contains no GMO material. The pure salt is mined and purified without chemicals by being dissolved in water, purified via precipitation of other minerals out of solution, and re-evaporated. The salt is not iodized. We use mined salt instead of sea salt due to the potential risk of radioactive materials in sea salt from the Fukushima nuclear accident in 2011.
- Baking Soda | Baking soda is a natural salt found in nature and therefore, does not contain any GMO material. We use only natural baking soda that is extracted from the mineral, nahcolite. It is extracted by a simple water process that uses no chemicals. We do not use chemically synthesized baking soda. To read more about the natural baking soda we use, visit their site at: www.naturalsoda.com .
- Raisins | Certified Non-GMO by propagation**. At this time, there are no GMO raisins (or grapes) that are commercially available as there are no GMO grapes in commercial production.
- Natural Flavor | Verified Non-GMO by the Non GMO Project.
- Oats | Certified Non-GMO By propagation**. At this time, there are no genetically modified oats are commercially available. Oats grown for commercial use have six chromosomes, which make the hexaploid grain difficult to genetically modify. Therefore, you can be assured that the oats are GMO-free.
- Cinnamon - Certified Non-GMO by propagation**. At this time, no genetically modified cinnamon is commercially available, therefore, the cinnamon we source does not include any cinnamon that has been genetically modified. The type of cinnamon we use is Korintje Cinnamon and it has been verified Non-GMO by the Non GMO Project.
- Butter - We use Sweet Creamery Butter that tests negative for GMO. We maintain a testing program to ensure that the butter we use tests negative for DNA from GMO material.
In addition to the information above, Soozie|s Doozies keeps letters on file from each ingredient supplier which state that to the best of their knowledge, the ingredient does not contain any genetically modified materials. We do not use an ingredient unless the supplier can assure us that the ingredient is non-GMO.
** The term propagation means multiplication by natural reproduction.